Growing a Business in the North American Borderplex
The North American Borderplex offers a wealth of resources to help you grow and scale your business. Regardless of the nature of your business or your goals for future growth, the region is a great place to take your company to the next level. Our region is home to thriving companies in industries including manufacturing, logistics, healthcare, and business services. The Borderplex Alliance and our partners in the region are here to help ensure that your company becomes the next North American Borderplex success story. To help make the process easier, we’ve provided some information to get you started and links to our partners who can assist with more specialized needs.
Training & Consulting Services
Successfully launching your business took courage, patience, knowledge of your market, and vision, among other attributes. Growing and scaling a business requires a slightly different set of skills and expertise. If you’re in need of training or consulting service to help your business reach its full potential, the Borderplex region has plenty of options to meet your needs.
- El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce: The El Paso Hispanic Chamber of Commerce offers an array of services to help entrepreneurs grow their businesses. These include strategic consulting, market expansion and fundraising consulting, and assistance in obtaining certifications.
- Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce: The Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce offers training and seminars to help business owners with strategic planning, working with government agencies, small business certification, and software literacy, among other topics.
- CANACO Juárez: CANACO Juárez provides consulting services to help businesses work effectively with major public and private entities, as well as programs to help businesses grow their administrative and productive capacities.
- TMAC: TMAC delivers hands-on technical assistance and training to a wide range of businesses, including manufacturing, government, and healthcare. They have a wide array of services that improve efficiency, quality, and productivity. Focus areas include Lean Enterprise, technology solutions, strategic management, quality systems, environment, and safety.
- Manufacturing Extension Partnership: New Mexico MEP Partnership for Success is a no-cost technical assistance service that provides technical, business, research and information assistance quickly and easily.
We understand that the most important part of building a successful business is being able to hire and develop great people. The North America Borderplex is home to multiple leading universities, a large bilingual workforce, and organizations to help your business recruit and train the team you need to succeed.
- Workforce Solutions Borderplex: Workforce Solutions is the public workforce system in the six-county Borderplex region that assists employers in finding quality employees and trains individuals with the skills necessary to thrive in the workplace. Through a variety of programs, Workforce Solutions Borderplex assists businesses in finding the right people to grow and scale their operations. The organization offers candidate screening and testing, job fairs and hiring events, and internship programs to connect the region’s youth to local employers. Additionally, Workforce Solutions Borderplex helps develop the regional talent pipeline through job training, educational initiatives, and career centers throughout El Paso and far west Texas.
- The Bridge of Southern New Mexico: The Bridge of Southern New Mexico combines the right leaders, resources and connections to make serious changes in the career readiness and workforce development challenges that undermine our economic future. The return on effort and investments made in those areas is already measurable and substantial.
Incubators and Coworking Spaces
Some businesses have already shown incredible promise but aren’t yet in a position to sign a lease in a private office. Others are operating in specialized technology fields and require additional resources and mentorship to better position them for long-term success. A number of incubators and coworking spaces call the Borderplex region home and can help put growing businesses on a path to success.
- Hub of Human Innovation: The Hub of Human Innovation is an El Paso-based technology incubator that helps businesses thrive and grow. The Hub of Human Innovation’s programs includes a business incubator for the clean energy industry, an initiative to connect technology companies with manufacturers across the region, and a mentorship program for up-and-coming entrepreneurs.
- Arrowhead Center: Based at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, the Arrowhead Center provides an array of services to technology startups and small businesses across Southern New Mexico. Among the organization’s programs are technology incubator, resources to help small businesses solve technical challenges, and assistance in commercializing intellectual property.
- TechnologyHub: The Cd. Juárez-based TechnologyHub is the center of hi-tech entrepreneurship in the city. The organization’s campus hosts office space for companies in the early stages of growth and for more established companies looking to gain a foothold in Mexico. Additionally, the TechnologyHub’s BizAccelerate program offers growing businesses training on topics including business plan development, market entry strategies, and financial planning.
- Cardwell Collaborative: The Cardwell Collaborative is an El Paso-based biomedical research and technology commercialization facility that exists as a part of the Medical Center of the Americas Foundation. The building is home to a 20,000 sq ft biomedical incubator, which includes wet-labs, dry-labs, office space, and lab support for established and startup biomedical companies.
International Trade and Expansion
As the meeting point of two dynamic countries, the Borderplex is the ideal place for companies interested in gaining a foothold in an international market or conducting international trade. A number of organizations in our region are available to help your business navigate this process.
- Hub of Human Innovation: The Hub of Human Innovation’s Soft Landing Pad program is designed to provide companies with the knowledge and resources they need to successfully enter the U.S. market. Services provided include tax and regulatory training, import/export information, official translations, and immigration assistance.
- TechnologyHub: The TechnologyHub’s Soft Landing program helps companies smoothly enter the Mexican market. The program includes consulting and advisory services, assistance establishing manufacturing operations, and resources for business planning and expansion.
- Desarrollo Económico de Cd. Juárez: Desarrollo Económico de Cd. Juárez is an association made up of business leaders in Cd. Juárez. Among the organization’s goals are to attract new business to Cd. Juárez and to facilitate the growth of existing businesses in the city.
- The Hunt Institute for Global Competitiveness: The Hunt Institute is a multidisciplinary hub for regional data and analysis. The organization publishes white papers and peer-reviewed articles that are made publically available in the interest of allowing the public to gain information and participate in a dialogue about the future of the region.
- New Mexico Economic Development Department: The New Mexico Economic Development Department, Office of International Trade assists small businesses in New Mexico to export their products abroad. Their services include export training programs, matchmaking services, and foreign language interpretation.
- Texas Economic Development Corporation: The Texas Economic Development Corporation helps Texas-based businesses strengthen their competitiveness through international trade, business expansion, and entrepreneurial support. Through its Mexico City office, the organization assists Mexican companies looking to expand to Texas and Texas businesses exporting to Mexico.